why Unix?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Apr 6 15:45:57 PDT 2009

Saaa wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
> news:grduhp$1rk0$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> But that would go like this: install eclipse, check how to compile under
>>> Linux and start programming.
>> Nope :o). When you'll figure why not, that's where the fun starts. I'm
>> sure you know about the phenomenon "writing Fortran in C" etc. Installing
>> eclipse and starting programming as you would under windows would be a
>> moral equivalent. (Not that I would advise against using eclipse, which I
>> also like.)
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Then, how should I start, or: where do I learn how I should start? :D

I intently stayed vague because there's no simple advice that can be
given on a complex phenomenon. The question is about as general and
complicated as "how do I get a date", and the problem with short answers
is that they can never be meaningful because, well, they are too short
and the problem is too large. Think of the "just be yourself" advice,
which is completely moronic, but on the surface it does make sense to
some extent and with the due qualifications.

I'll try my "just be yourself" advice by just telling how it worked for
me. I had a real large project to implement on Unix and that's that.
Initially Unix ripped my leg and beat me to death with it. Then I've
been through a number of exaggerated stages (e.g. writing big shell
scripts - there's something to be said about the joy of seeing .bat
files done right). Then I got to the point where I was reasonably
productive, and finally got to a point where I could occasionally look
amused over the shoulder of someone trying to get work done in Windows.
It's like watching an accident, and in slow motion.

Andrei