why Unix?

Jussi Jumppanen jussij at zeusedit.com
Mon Apr 6 17:19:40 PDT 2009

Jason House Wrote:

> For example, as an emacs user, I can easilly program for an hour
> without touching my mouse.

I would say 'not using the mouse' is clear sign the programmer is
coding using a programmer's editor and not a modern day IDE.

I would also say many Windows programmers are completely lost
without their IDE, and this can makes them less productive as a
developer.

They could make themselves better programmers by overcoming their
addiction to the IDE.

  http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html

But programming on Windows without a mouse driven, language specific
IDE, using nothing but the command line and a good editor is possible
and really quite easy to do.

> As a commandline utility, it can be combined with other stuff such
> as ls, sort, grep, sed, awk, etc... I don't know if I'd start there
> though...

Replace ls with dir, download the Win32 version of grep, sed, awk
and you can run all those tools just fine from the Windows command
line, or from within any decent editor.

You don't have to go to Unix to find the command line.