why Unix?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Apr 6 17:55:43 PDT 2009

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 04:41:39 +0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> Jussi Jumppanen wrote:

>>>  I would say 'not using the mouse' is clear sign the programmer is
>>> coding using a programmer's editor and not a modern day IDE.  I would
>>> also say many Windows programmers are completely lost without their
>>> IDE, and this can makes them less productive as a developer.
>>>  They could make themselves better programmers by overcoming their
>>> addiction to the IDE.
>>>    http://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html
>>>  But programming on Windows without a mouse driven, language specific
>>> IDE, using nothing but the command line and a good editor is possible
>>> and really quite easy to do.
>>  >
>>>  Replace ls with dir, download the Win32 version of grep, sed, awk
>>> and you can run all those tools just fine from the Windows command
>>> line, or from within any decent editor.
>>>  You don't have to go to Unix to find the command line.
>>>

>> But all else is lacking, starting with a good shell. I guess it's
>> possible with cygwin et al, but then it feels a bit artificial and
>> second-hand.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> There is FAR, which is an amazing tool. Properly configured, it can do
> everything you will ever need. An it's Open-Source, too!

I remember having used FAR back in the day... it was fun. But then I
feel there's a disconnect somewhere in the dialog. Will, for example,
FAR take a text file, create a dictionary with its words, assign a
unique number to each word in decreasing order of frequency, and output
a file with each word replaced with its number?

Andrei