Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:48:50 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>> Windows is a pain in the arse, and there isn't a day that goes by where
>> I don't wish I could get rid of it from my life.  But the fact is that
>> it's STILL better than Linux.
>
> What I've found about Windows is it consistently renders things better
> on the same display. In other words, text is more readable and easier on
> the eyes. I've spent a lot of time tweaking settings on Ubuntu, but it's
> still not as good (especially in firefox).

This is a matter of opinion and particular fonts. I have found fonts
that render horribly on Ubuntu and wonderfully on Windows, and I have
found fonts that render wonderfully on Ubuntu and horribly on Windows.
But another person might have the opposite opinions of the same fonts.

The fonts I end up using on Windows are the MS ClearType designed fonts.
The ones I use on Linux are Chaparral Pro and Cronos Pro. (I use Droid
Sans Mono on both platforms as a monospace font.)

I have never gotten MS core fonts to look good on Linux.

This is all assuming that you turned on subpixel rendering in Linux.