why Unix?

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 06:48:57 PDT 2009

Saaa Wrote:

> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
> news:grduhp$1rk0$1 at digitalmars.com...
> >>
> >> But that would go like this: install eclipse, check how to compile under
> >> Linux and start programming.
> >
> > Nope :o). When you'll figure why not, that's where the fun starts. I'm
> > sure you know about the phenomenon "writing Fortran in C" etc. Installing
> > eclipse and starting programming as you would under windows would be a
> > moral equivalent. (Not that I would advise against using eclipse, which I
> > also like.)
> >
> > Andrei
>
> Then, how should I start, or: where do I learn how I should start? :D

Another part of this thread reminded me. "Live CDs" provide an easy way to play around. Ubuntu's Live CD is not set up for programming though. I don't know if another live CD would be better.

If you install ubuntu you'll want to add the "build-essential" package (sudo apt-get install build-essential). A similar thing can be done to install eclipse, subversion, or whatever your favorite stuff is...

Maybe that would be a good starting point?