why Unix?

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:02:56 PDT 2009

Jason House wrote:

> Saaa Wrote:
>

>> "Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
>> news:grduhp$1rk0$1 at digitalmars.com...

>> > Nope :o). When you'll figure why not, that's where the fun starts. I'm
>> > sure you know about the phenomenon "writing Fortran in C" etc.
Installing
>> > eclipse and starting programming as you would under windows would be a
>> > moral equivalent. (Not that I would advise against using eclipse, which
>> > also like.)
>> >
>> > Andrei
>>
>> Then, how should I start, or: where do I learn how I should start? :D
>>

> Another part of this thread reminded me. "Live CDs" provide an easy way to
play around. Ubuntu's Live CD is not set up for programming though. I don't
know if another live CD would be better.

> If you install ubuntu you'll want to add the "build-essential" package
(sudo apt-get install build-essential). A similar thing can be done to
install eclipse, subversion, or whatever your favorite stuff is...

> Maybe that would be a good starting point?

That, or with usb, or in virtualbox is all good. But I think the question
was more where to start using the specific benefits of linux over other OS
as a programming environment.

Fedora 10 has a live-cd spin specifically aimed at developers, haven't used
it though.

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/