Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

grauzone none at example.net
Tue Apr 7 07:08:47 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> grauzone wrote:
>> Why does everyone think "Ubuntu" when talking about Linux? I find the
>> Ubuntu desktop almost as annoying as the Windows one. Even worse,
>> Ubuntu feels like a Windows clone. Most of this is because it uses
>> GNOME by default.
>>
>> If you really want to use Linux, don't use a crappy desktop
>> environment (they're all crappy), pick a small window manager (like
>> fluxbox), and live in the command line.
>>
>> Neither user nor programmers should pretend that Linux is a Windows
>> replacement. It's different. You will be disappointed if you expect a
>> replacement. Actually, using Windows is better in this case.
>
> Well obviously Windows is the best if you're looking for something
> exactly like Windows. Other than that it's a matter of opinion. I use

People, who used only Windows in their life, seem to expect all OSes to
be like Windows. Even if they're aware that the system is supposed to be
different, they might unconsciously prefer the Windows way. Of course,
this is only natural.

> KDE on one laptop and Gnome on another, and I like both miles better
> than Windows. Use what you like. There's no canonical way to use a Unix
> machine.

This is what's good about Unix. I'm not forced to use GNOME or KDE. At
least not their window managers and root window thingies (aka desktops).