Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

grauzone none at example.net
Tue Apr 7 07:20:58 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> grauzone wrote:
>> I'm not expecting anything from Linux GUIs anymore. Seriously, Linux
>> on the desktop sucks. God, does it suck!
>
> What standard are you holding it against? The Mac GUI is snappier, but

First, I didn't ever use a Mac. Hell, these things even require special
hardware.

Generally, the look and feel "style" of the popular Linux toolkits GTK
and QT is almost the same as Windows. They look the same. They use the
same keyboard shortcuts. They regularly clone Windows GUI controls (just
look at the "tabbed notebook" controls). GTK2 was more like Win32 than
GTK1. Konqueror is (was) basically an Explorer clone. The GNOME control
center is a clone of Window's control panel. The taskbar doesn't really
exist in classic X11 window managers, but KDE and GNOME have it and
insist on it.

It's obvious the Linux desktop is cloning from Windows (and maybe Mac),
but they are bad at it. I always get this feeling when using Windows.

Of course it could be because I was used to Windows. But hey, there are
dozens of things GTK/QT/GNOME/KDE cloned from Windows _after_ I switched
to Linux.

> overall the Mac is still not as stable as Ubuntu. I don't miss anything
> from the Windows GUI.

Me too. Without doubt, there are cases where Linux GUIs do better than
Windows.

And then there's the fact that some parts I used to do in a GUI moved to
the command line. Although I normally prefer GUIs. Seriously, Linux GUI
file managers suck. Here I prefer bash.