Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 11:33:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:26:21 -0400, Christopher Wright wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:02:34 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer
>> <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The only thing it lacks is iTunes (yeah, screw you, I like iTunes :)
>>  The probability of iTunes on Linux just got a whole lot higher
>>
>> http://tech.yahoo.com/news/macworld/20090407/tc_macworld/itunesisdrmfreeaddsvariablepricing_1
>
> I doubt it will happen within the next five years. Apple admits that
> Windows exists because it has to; it won't ignore >85% of the market.
> But it will never admit that any other desktop operating system exists,
> if there is any choice in the matter.

OK, so maybe the probability went up from 1/1000000 to 1/100000 :)

But still, the sole purpose of iTunes is to support the iPod/iPhone and to
make money through music downloads.  Not to sell Macs.  It makes logical
sense to port iTunes to other platforms.  Or even open the protocol for
open source development.

And porting from OSX to Linux has got to be a hell of a lot easier than
porting to Windows...

-Steve