why Unix?

Ralf Schneider lists at gestaltgeber.com
Tue Apr 7 13:12:07 PDT 2009

> Well at least you've got to make up your mind. It's amazing how you
> mention instability in three instances and stagnation in two instances,
> without ever noticing the irony. What's happening?

Instability: Red hat crashes most often. AIX, Solaris and HP-UX just
run. Windows crashes sometimes. (Very personal observation, of course)

Instable APIs: POSIX is stable. Most other *NIX APIs regarding Audio,
GUI, Graphics and others are constantly changing, with very little
visible progress. What is not covered by POSIX is different on ever Unix
flavour: Hot do you get the peak virtual memory usage on AIX, Linux and
Solaris?
Windows: APIs are usually stable. New APIs with new concepts are
introduced beside existsing APIs. Yes there is a lot of cruft. And
windows is defintetly not "perfect"!!! In no way!
It just sucks less (TM)

Stagnation: On *NIX: same (command line) tools, same concepts
(everything is a file) as decades ago. New ideas are usually copied
badly from Apple or Windows years later.

So, again: As a desktop and programming environment I prefer Windows.
May be I would prefer OS X if I knew it.

As a server: I would use and suggest UNIX. May be even Red Hat is OK and
the crashes we experience is a temporary problem and are hardware related.