why Unix?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Apr 7 16:00:44 PDT 2009

== Quote from Sergey Gromov (snake.scaly at gmail.com)'s article

> Windows is my main development platform, and it drives me nuts.  I'd
> move to Linux but I'm afraid of little important things getting in the
> way, like a requirement to use Outlook for my corporate mail, and Flash
> CS4 for development.  Even if it's possible I can't afford being
> semi-paralyzed for at least a couple of weeks while all those nuances
> are being sorted out.

In the rare instance where I haven't been able to find a native app to do
some Windows thing I just use the actual Windows app running in a VM.
But there's still a tipping point where if you find yourself using more
non-native apps than native apps then there's just no point in using
that OS no matter how much better it is.  I ran into this problem with
OS/2 when one day I realized that I was mostly using it as an execution
shell for Windows apps... it was difficult to justify using OS/2 after that,
even though it was a million times better than Windows.