why Unix?

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 06:14:12 PDT 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> ever heard of powershell? it is in fact a superior design for a shell
> compared to most unix shells.
>
> also, have you ever heard of rush? http://rush.heroku.com/

I tried rush. Its documentation is lacking. The lack of a working
directory is annoying. The lack of formatting and color when listing the
contents of a directory is a show stopper, especially when combined with
no equivalent to less. I have very few directories that have more than
one pageful of files when using ls -C, but many of them would go to
multiple pages with rush.

Maybe in a few years it'll be a good shell, but for now, I don't want to
reinvent 'ls --color=always -C' in Ruby.