Multithreaded I/O in the DMD compiler (DDJ article by Walter)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 20:46:05 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 08:33:11PM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> and apt-get replies with: "Couldn't find package virtualbox"
>
> Evidently, my system is completely hosed now.

Aren't package managers swell?

Waste of bloody time that would better be spent on solving the underlying
problem: too damn many combinations of options and dependencies. What works
for one person is unlikely to work for another.

This is one reason why I rather like Phobos being statically linked like it
is. If you download a D binary, it is going to run; it is self contained.

(I also really love dmc and dmd for being self-contained too.)

If it was dynamically linked, someone would be tempted to package it up
separately and you'd get into all kinds of dependency hell. And for what?
300k in the binary? Not worth it.

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net