bigfloat

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Apr 9 01:30:45 PDT 2009

dennis luehring wrote:
> On 09.04.2009 09:18, Don wrote:
>> Note that my Bigint asm primitives are in most cases slightly faster
>> than the ones provided by GMP <g>.
>
> do you think that a blade like method here
> will increase the speed even more?...

No. I've got it very close to the machine limits.
On Intel machines, in which adc and sbc are ridiculously slow and have
an undocumented stall with conditional jumps, you could get add and
subtract faster for small lengths, if you know the length at compile-time.
But that would only be relevant for small-size floating point types such
as Andrei was talking about, it wouldn't help BigInt. And the benefit's
negligible for AMD machines.

BTW, discovering that stall is one of the reasons I'm faster than GMP.