Std Phobos 2 and logging library?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 22:21:04 PDT 2009

== Quote from Leandro Lucarella (llucax at gmail.com)'s article
> Andrei Alexandrescu, el 10 de abril a las 16:49 me escribiste:
> > >And Braddr just made a documentation fix, and Walter only commits
> > >portability stuff and an occasional bug fix now and then, so...
> > >Yes, it really looks like a five-person show =)
> > >I think most work in Phobos now it's done by Andrei, there are other
> > >*collaborators* (the four other you named plus people sending patches), but
> > >it looks like Andrei's show to me. This is not necessarily bad, it's
> > >definitely  better than before, when it was Walter's show, now at least he
> > >can dedicate his efforts in the compiler and language and Phobos is having
> > >a lot more attention.
> >
> > We'll be very happy to integrate credited contributions from anyone, and
> > to give dsource.org write access to serious participants. What I think
> > right now stands in the way of large participation to Phobos is that we
> > all still learn the ropes of D2; the possibilities are dizzying and we
> > haven't quite zeroed in on a particular style. Nonetheless, as it's been
> > noticed I'm always summoning help from this group. So again, if you feel
> > you want to contribute with ideas and/or code, don't hesitate.
> I hope I can come up with something useful with my thesis (improving D's
> GC) and I can contribute that. Right now all my energies are focused on
> that, and I'm very close to the point to finally start playing with
> alternate implementations.
> BTW, is there any real interest in adding some more power to the GC
> implementator to allow some kind of moving or generational collector?

Absolutely.  When writing parallel code to do large scale data mining in D, the
lack of precision and multithreaded allocation are real killers.  My interests
are, in order of importance:

1.  Being able to allocate at least small chunks of memory without locking.
2.  Precise scanning of at least the heap.
3.  Collection w/o stopping the world.
4.  Moving GC so that allocations can be pointer bumps.