Std Phobos 2 and logging library?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 11 08:23:10 PDT 2009

== Quote from grauzone (none at example.net)'s article
> Rioshin an'Harthen wrote:
> > "Leandro Lucarella" <llucax at gmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > news:20090411030416.GA22762 at homero.springfield.home...
> >> BTW, is there any real interest in adding some more power to the GC
> >> implementator to allow some kind of moving or generational collector?
> >
> > What I mostly want/need from the GC would be determinism. I want to be
> > able to call delete on a subobject in the destructor of the object being
> > deleted.
> >
> > How many times have I stumbled on this already?
> Actually, this isn't needed:
> - if you want to manually free an object, you can add an extra destroy()
> method
> - when the object is garbage collected, there's no point in deleting
> referenced objects, because these are either still alive, or get
> collected as well

In theory true, but in practice false.  If you have a huge array owned by a small
class, the huge array can be retained due to false pointers.  Before I realized
that it's illegal, I used to put delete statements in destructors in these kinds
of situations and it seemed to work in practice even though it's illegal according
to the spec, although I never tested it rigorously or really thought about how it
could break.