what are the most common bugs in your D apps?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Apr 12 09:46:37 PDT 2009

"Jarrett Billingsley" <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1145.1239546503.22690.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 9:28 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Your C code also contains a bug, if chars are unsigned.
>
> I will agree, however, that the D compiler (*all* compilers for all
> languages, really!) should detect and complain about "nontrivial
> trivial" comparisons - comparisons that *look* nontrivial (like "c >=
> 0"), but which always evaluate to true or always to false.

I agree with what you're saying about "nontrivial trivial comparisons", but
I'm inclined to also suggest that arithmetic operations be disallowed for
char types. It doesn't make any more semantic sence than trying to add a
string with an int. Plus, the concept of signed/unsigned for a "character"
is rather nonsensical as well.

If you want to manipulate chars like that, you're not really looking to
manipulate the characters themselves, you're looking to manipulate the
underlying numerical codes. So a cast to a numeric type should be required.