The new, new phobos sneak preview

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Mon Apr 13 11:01:38 PDT 2009

Michel Fortin wrote:
> I disagree. How adding the "is" it disambiguate between the predicate
> and the assertion? "x.isBounded" reads more like "x is bounded" (the
> assertion) than "is x bounded" (the predicate).

Method syntax usually leads to incorrect word order.  "a.b(c)", should
not be read as "a does b to c", but as "Computer, do b to a and c.".
It's a command to the computer, not a statement.  In that context,
"isBounded(x)" reads as "Computer, is x bounded?".

I'm also in favor of "asBounded(x)" (treat x as a bounded range) and
"toBounded(x)" (convert x to a bounded range, not really applicable for
"bounded").

> Anyway, more than advocating for or against the "is" prefix, I mostly
> want things to be coherent. If you use "is" for bounded, you should use
> "is" for empty too. That's why I'm suggesting there is a section about
> choosing names in Phobos' Naming Conventions.

Agreed.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com