Shared Memory

sesteel steel at kryas.com
Thu Apr 16 14:20:47 PDT 2009

I just wanted to float an idea out there.  I have been using technologies such as Terracotta and Memcache at work.  Terracotta, has left me wondering about the applicability of integrating shared objects (memory) directly into a programming language.  Is this anything anybody else here has thought of?  Additionally, I was thinking about the concept of services vs libraries, and how shared objects might be a way to provide fast IPC while getting rid of the library concept.  Thus, each service would have it's own memory space to manage and GC.  One hinderence would be the versioning of the shared object, but if that object could be viewed through an interface...

Just brainstorming.