Fully dynamic d by opDotExp overloading

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:38:31 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > Please do not accuse me of such a thing simply because I haven't changed my
> > opinion. You've held your ground as well, so I could just as easily accuse
> > you of being closed-minded and merely reaffirming a your preconceived
> > opinion. I have indeed listened to the arguments and responded to them.
>
> Given my track record, I think it should come at no surprise that I'm
> not a fan of dynamic typing.
>
> Andrei

I'm no fan of it either. I will be pissed if one day I'm using a D library and a function name typo becomes a runtime error. There is no program too short for me to introduce typos and bugs.

Even still, this dynamic stuff does not bother me much because it only gets turned on if the class designer wanted it. I assume that it'd be a corner of the language I could avoid. The use seems reasonable besides sone bicycle shed coloring, so I plan to sit quietly in the corner and await an outcome.

My only 2 cents is to use something other than dot for dynamic function invocation. Given how much I plan to use it, it's probably better for me to abstain.