Fully dynamic d by opDotExp overloading

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 12:43:45 PDT 2009

> bearophile wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>> Yes. The amount of confusion in this thread is staggering.
>>
>> I think I have misunderstood about the whole thread then. If the
>> string isn't determined at run time, then this thing isn't useful for
>> my purposes, and it's not close to the object-C as I was talking
>> about, and it's not similar to __getattr__ of Python, etc.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> In the syntax
>
> a.b
>
> how would either of a and b be identified at runtime? I mean, you write
> the code somewhere and it gets compiled. It's not like you're reading
> "a.b" from the console and then call some eval() function against them.
>

> Andrei

what prevents D from having an eval function?
suppose someone modifies the DMD front-end to compile a string with the
source code of a function in-memory, than this is processed by something
based on DDL and what you get is an API call that takes source code in a
string and returns a function pointer.