Fully dynamic d by opDotExp overloading

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Apr 18 18:10:27 PDT 2009

Adam Burton wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> What about using something like '->' for dynamic calls instead of '.'?
>> That's absolutely useless. If I have to write anything different from
>> "." I might as well write "bloodyMaryBloodyMaryBloodyMary".
>>
>> Andrei
> You could even write 'noodles' but that doesn't really give me a reason as
> to why it's absolutely useless. Please clarify, I thought it seemed like a
> reasonable idea, if it isn't I would like to know why.

I apologize for the snapping. There's no excuse really, but let me
mention that this thread has been particularly meandering.

The point of using "." is not syntactic convenience as much as the
ability of the Dynamic structure to work out of the box with algorithms
that use the standard notation.

Andrei