Fully dynamic d by opDotExp overloading

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Apr 19 11:45:46 PDT 2009

Michel Fortin wrote:
> On 2009-04-18 22:21:50 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> said:
>
>> I did, but sorry, it doesn't make sense and does nothing but continue
>> the terrible confusion going in this thread.
>
> Then let's try to remove some of that confusion.

Thanks for doing so. Given that my wits are spent with regard to this
thread, I am replying out of respect for the considerable effort you
have put in writing an explanation.

I agree that method names swallowed by opDotExp will not be exposed to
any reflection mechanism and that that can be a drawback. But sometimes
you don't even want to exhaustively generate all method names. In the
Pascalize example, you wouldn't want to generate all case combinations
of your methods. Also in the swizzle example, maybe you don't want to
compulsively expose all of the xyzw combinations.

You completely lost me about the necessity of a standardized catch-all
function. My view is that if you want to forward to someone else, you
just call the runtime invoke() for the guy you want to forward to. So I
see exactly zero need for a standardized catch-all, and a red herring in
the discussion about the syntactic help brought about by opDotExp. Given
the size of your latest effort to explain things, I guess it would be
out of place for me to ask for further explanation.

Also, when a thread becomes an exchange between two people, it's a clear
sign that that thread should be put to rest. I'm still a bit dumbfounded
that such a minor issue has caused so much aggravation, but I guess
odder things have happened on the Usenet.

Andrei