D2 weak references

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Apr 20 14:03:47 PDT 2009

== Quote from Jason House (jason.james.house at gmail.com)'s article
> Sean Kelly Wrote:
> >
> > You're guaranteed that the GC will notify you when it finalizes
> > the referenced object, so you shouldn't have to query the GC
> > at all.  Just copy the reference into a GC-scannable location
> > and then if you haven't been notified by the GC that the object
> > was finalized the reference is good.
> Maybe I misunderstood, but I interpreted earlier discussion in this thread to mean the gc did the
following steps:
> 1. Pause all threads
> 2. Scan objects to clear marks
> 3. Scan objects to add marks
> 4. Resume all threads
> 5. Scan objects, if no mark then...
>     5a. Call object finalizer
>     5b. Free memory for later use
> Assuming that is correct, any deref of a weak reference is unsafe between steps 4 and 5a. Even
though the object may be valid in that window, there's no guarantee that the reference won't be used
after step 5b... This would lead to random behavior and seg faults. No self-respecting weak reference
library should allow that to happen.
> I hope I got something wrong and weak refs are easier to implement than I'm currently thinking.

Oh I see what you're saying.  So this could happen:

4. The GC resume all threads
4a. Another thread derefs the WeakRef
4b. This thread checks to see if the GC has notified that the
       object is being collected.  No notification, so it uses the object.
5. The GC scans its memory and finalizes the object
6. The other thread tries to use the object and explodes

You're right, it sounds like you'd need to add a step between 4a
and 4b where the WeakRef notifies the GC that the object it's using
shouldn't be collected (if a collection is in progress).  In fact, all you
really need to do is acquire the GCs mutex for a moment.  Once
you've acquired it then you know that any collection in progress
must be complete (assuming of course that the GC uses a mutex
to prevent corruption).

The horrible thing about all this is it makes using a multithreaded
WeakRef horribly slow.  Even if the GC facility were provided for
what you want to do you're talking about acquiring a mutex in
the GC for every deref operation.  What a mess.