Few mixed things

Wed Apr 22 02:36:04 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> What is the advantage of having a separate /+ +/ nestable comment syntax?
> Can't the /+ +/ be removed to make the normal /* */ syntax nestable?
> (IS the different C semantics of /* */ a problem here? I don't think so.)

Sometimes it's handy to have non-nesting comments.

For example, when debugging something, I sometimes use:
---
foo();
/*
bar();
/*
baz();
//*/
---
So I can quickly remove the first '/*' (by prepending '/') to uncomment bar()
but not baz().

Also, Walter may feel differently about the C-compatibility thing than you do :).

> The std.intrinsic module may gain a standard way to perform a 64-bit by 32-bit division, for the situations where you know the quotient will fit in 32 bits ('divl' instruction on X86).
> CPUs that don't support such operation can use the normal 64-big division.

That just sounds like a possible compiler optimization for
---
ulong L;
uint I;
// initialize L & I