-nogc

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Thu Apr 23 23:24:42 PDT 2009

dennis luehring schrieb:
> Andrei Alexandrescu schrieb:
>> dennis luehring wrote:

>>> question about debug code speed:
>>>
>>> a far as i understand it now is the code-speed of (assoc) arrays
>>> independent from the debug-code-generator because of the buildinness
>>>
>>> i ask because i hate the speed of std::vectors/maps at debug-time
>>> especially when it comes to large datasets - my major slowdown in
>>> prototype development comes then from the awfully slow stl containers -
>>> does D suffer from this - or will it, when you add this extension?
>>
>> I think we'll be in better shape than debug stl because ranges are
>> inherently cheaper to check. But only testing will tell.
>
> not only iterating is awfully slow - also the pushing of data
>
> (i can clearly say that my simple stl container based volume simulation
> is nearly not debugable because of the amount of data needed to get into
> an debugable state) - so im working only with release versions - and
> start to convert my (c++)modules into relaseable c-interfaced dlls
> (just to be able to debug the main-code) - and this situation is an
> absolut prototyping no-go
>
> please: always test if your extensions to containers do not harm the
> "debugging" speed - the stl is best example of killing this part of
> prototype-test-programm-cycle

does that also mean that strings are getting template based?

what amount of debug-code will produce this? like with the stl (or
boost) - zillion megabytes for 9 lines of code? and i can throw away my
debugger (if D will get a good one)

im always shocked when looking at the stl/boost based assembler code in
debug releases - does D generate less code?