Array Appending and DRuntime

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Apr 25 15:34:37 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:
> I'm not sure on what machine you test, but on my (crappy old) laptop,
> your Appender example completes in 4.95 seconds. Are you sure you are
> measuring the right thing?

My purpose is to have a good standard library and a good language.
Errors of mine are always possible. Benchmarks are tricky things.

I have redone the tests, the CPU is unloaded, no computation is going on, the system is WinXP with 2 GB RAM, 2 GHz Core 2.

New timings give no less than 22.6 seconds, repeated. As running time I use a timing command similar to the "time" of Linux, that gives the total running time of the program (final deallocations too).

I think Appender can be improved some. You can also try DMD1, to compare timings, it's not a fully dead language yet.

Bye,
bearophile