If T[new] is the container for T[], then what is the container

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Apr 26 03:01:15 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu:
> 1. As right now :o).
> 2. Using refcounting. [...]
> 3. Using manual management. [...]
> If we manage to integrate them all... that's quite the holy grail. And I
> think it's entirely possible with only a few changes to the language.

If you add such two other ways to manage memory, you end with different code. Isn't this going to split the D codebase in three? (If I look for an already written D1 module now I have to see if it's for Tango or Phobos. In such situation I have to see what kind of memory does it use?)

And in big programs isn't the usage of a GC inevitable? So are the other two options only for small programs?

When you see code written by other people you must be able to understand and know how to use the refcounting too. So this adds some more things to know. D2 is getting more and more complex than D1. Eventually D2 may risk getting too much complex for normal people. Both C and Java are simple enough languages, but a cross of them may be too much complex for normal people.

Bye,
bearophile