Followed all installation instructions, still no luck (OS X 10.5)

Steve Johnson diordna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 18:30:37 PDT 2009

I have tried to install DMD for OS X about six different ways, none of which have worked. The installation instructions are confusing and inconsistent. I keep getting this error:
"object.d: Error: module object cannot read file 'object.d'"

The instructions say to run this:
"chmod u+x dmd/osx/bin/{dmd,dumpobj,obj2asm,rdmd}"
Except that there is no rdmd file in the osx/bin folder.

Later, it says to run this:
"/dmd/bin/shell all.sh"
Except that there is no /dmd folder, and there is certainly no dmd/bin/shell file for OS X.

Other than those things, I followed the instructions to the letter, adding ~/dmd/osx/bin to my PATH, copying dmd.conf to /etc, etc.

Anyway, when I run "dmd samples/d/hello.d", I get the error described above. Any ideas?