Splitter quiz / survey

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Apr 27 11:08:50 PDT 2009

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Jason House wrote:
>>> Before reading your post, I was going to say that I'd expect 4, would
>>> accept 1, and consider 2 or 3 to be buggy! Notice how under your new
>>> proposal everyone would still get the behavior wrong when reading the
>>> code.
>>
>> everyone posting heavily in thiss group != everyone
>
> Yes, but it's a representative (albeit small) sample of the user base.

That I disagree with. I mean... you're just saying it. Participation to
a newsgroup is not necessarily correlated with much else than interest
and available time. Besides, it's hard to say how representative a
sample of 10-15 is.

If you said "influential" instead of "representative" then I'd agree
you're on to something.

>> P.S. I scrolled down your post looking for counter-evidence that you
>> might have brought, but found only the please-don't-do-this-again
>> empty quote. It wastes everybody time looking in vain for nuggets of
>
> Is consistency a good argument? std.string.split currently does (4).
> Java and C#'s split() methods work like (4). strtok does (4). Is there
> any other language/function besides Perl that does (2)?

Yes, Phobos' Splitter :o). Alright, it's not like I'm fixated. I can
make the change. I'd be glad to have a stronger criterion for making one
choice or another.

Andrei