Splitter quiz / survey

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Mon Apr 27 14:31:08 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Robert Fraser wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> everyone posting heavily in thiss group != everyone
>>
>> Yes, but it's a representative (albeit small) sample of the user base.
>
> That I disagree with. I mean... you're just saying it. Participation to
> a newsgroup is not necessarily correlated with much else than interest
> and available time. Besides, it's hard to say how representative a
> sample of 10-15 is.

Of course it isn't representative. Not even necessarily influential. But
it is /something/. Normally, when we have discussed "new" things, half,
or even more have been of the [not final] opinion, which has had to have
been changed. Interestingly, this one was pretty unanimous.

But you're right: participation in a newsgroup, happening to see a
particular post, and happening to respond to it, before too many others
find it useless to contribute, can hardly be considered representative.
And that's precisely why we've had Walter as the Dictator, and lately
you (for Phobos, at least). Majority lead development is not going to
lead us anywhere, and I guess we all know it. Grudgingly or not.

Instead of a voting community, the major contribution of this NG migth
be to bring up unexpected issues with the latest developments (both
concepts and implementations). Linus Torvalds used to welcome "more
eyes", under the idea that haystacks shouold get rid of as many needles
as possible, or else you can't enjoy jumping into them.