Yet another strike against the current AA implementation

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Apr 28 03:21:09 PDT 2009

On 2009-04-27 10:51:22 -0400, Frits van Bommel
<fvbommel at REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> said:

> I edited this code to work with ldc (D1) + Tango, and saw the Direct
> and opApply cases generate identical code (inc, cmp, jne, with the loop
> counter in a register) [1], so they're equally fast (modulo process
> scheduling randomness).

Thank you for your timings. I think it shows my point: that by
prefering ranges over opApply we're just optimising around a deficiency
in DMD's optimizer.

I'm thinking... with proper inlining, perhaps we could take the notion
of ranges out of the compiler and just define a generic opApply in
std.range that use front, popFront, and empty. :-) Perhaps.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/