Splitter quiz / survey

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Apr 28 05:19:13 PDT 2009

Robert Fraser:
> For quick, simple, write-once scripts, I still haven't found anything that beats Perl.<

Even if now it is slowly going out of fashion, Perl is a language used for many years by millions of people, so surely it's usable. For small text processing scripts it's probably "better" than Python too.
It's currently widely used in bioinformatics too, see also "How Perl Saved the Human Genome Project", by Lincoln Stein:
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/How_Perl_saved_human_genome
But I suggest the D designers to not copy it while designing D, because its design is often a dangerous mess.

> But Perl hate seems to go along with goto hate, Vista hate, emo hate, etc. as bandwagon-jumping.<

I think they don't like grizzlymorphs jump on bandwagons :o)

Bye,
bearophile