D2 Multithreading Architecture

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Apr 29 18:25:32 PDT 2009

On 2009-04-28 15:06:32 -0400, "Robert Jacques" <sandford at jhu.edu> said:

> ┌───────┬──────────────┬────────────────────┬─────────────┐
> │ scope │ Common Super │ Unknown Allocation │ Transitive† │
> └───────┴──────────────┴────────────────────┴─────────────┘
> Use of the scope keyword for the common ownership-type is based upon
> Walter’s original escape analysis blog. However, this design is based
> upon  using the type system restrictions as opposed to full escape
> analysis to  prevent object escape. Full escape analysis would
> alleviate the  restrictions in rule 6.
> Basic Rules:
> 1) Refers to scope definitions inside a function body.
> 2) May only be assigned at declaration
>         scope Node!(int) n;
>         n.next = new Node!(int)(); // Error: Possible escape
>         n = n.next;                // Error: see relaxation of this rule  below

[...]

> Relaxation of Rule 2
> Technically, only the tail of a scope type must obey rule 2).
> Therefore,  assigning to the head of a scope type is valid. This allows
> for more  imperative style programming and for things like swap to be
> valid,  however, I don’t know how difficult this is to implement.
>         n = n.next;
>         auto n2 = n;
>         swap(n, n2);
>         swap(n, n.next); // Error: Cannot take the reference of a scope tail
>         Node!(int) m = new Node!(int)();
>         swap(n, m); // Error: m is local, not scope

That's basically why I suggested adding scope constrains back then. To
implement swap safely, you need to know that the scope of the pointer
you are assigning to is always smaller or equal to the scope of the
memory block you're feeding them with.

Here's a new syntax for expressing contrains I've been thinking about:

	void swap(scope int* x, scope int* y)
	  scope(x = y && y = x)  // caller enforces that y is assignable to x
and x to y
	{
		scope(x = t && t = y) int* t;
		// y assignable to t and t to x; also imply that
		// x is assignable to y, which holds against previous constrains

		t = y;  // valid since scope(t = y)
		y = x;  // valid since scope(y = x)
		x = t;  // valid since scope(x = t)
	}

Perhaps with simple escape analysis, the compiler could infer the scope
constrains of local variable t so you don't have to write it everywhere.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/