I wish I could use D for everything

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Apr 30 04:16:42 PDT 2009

Walter Bright:
>D aims to reduce project costs by reducing training time and shortening development time.<

I agree that this is very important. Helping the programmer avoid bugs and helping her to follow good design practices are among the most important qualities of a programming language, because in practical programming often most time (= money) is spent debugging programs and updating them.

But you are comparing D with C++, because programming in D1 is faster and often simpler than doing the same in C++.

But today most people use languages like Java, Python, C#, that often shorten developing time even more than D1.
D1 is almost a system language, so it's not easy to compete with the productivity of application languages designed to put the programmer first and the CPU second.

And D2 is not an easy&simple language, you need a good amount of time to learn/teach it, more than Java for example.

Bye,
bearophile