Yet another strike against the current AA implementation

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Apr 30 06:52:21 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede:
> And about your comments on stack size, seems regular Python has an
> in-built limit on recursion, at 1000 deep. That should be diametrically
> opposite your stance on stack size.

See also sys.setrecursionlimit() to lift that limit where useful. You can also define how much deep to show the when an error occurs (to avoid flooding the shell, for example).

Python is a high-level language, so naturally people expect it to be fit for recursive algorithms, because they are sometimes shorter and more natural (when they work on nested data structures). But the low stack limit (and the very low performance of function calls) forces people to often manually translate recursive algorithms into iterative ones. I hate this.

Bye,
bearophile