I wish I could use D for everything

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 11:22:39 PDT 2009

== Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s
> One thing I've always admired about Walter is his willingness and
> capacity to learn new things. He once told me something that surprised
> me - that he believes many language designers don't get the power of
> templates. They would read about templates, work through a couple of
> examples, and remain unimpressed. Some languages do seem to suggest
> that. It took Walter several passes to actually "get" templates.
> Remember, at a time there were no templates in D and Walter said he'll
> never put them in, to the joy of some.

Well, one of the niches of D is making template metaprogramming accessible to the
masses.  While you can do it in C++, doing anything beyond simple generics with
templates is so messy that 99% of the programming population never would.  If I
had only seen C++ templates and had not been able to envision what the D template
system might become, would still miss the ability to write simple generic
functions, but not much else.