Fixing the imaginary/complex mess

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Apr 30 12:20:23 PDT 2009

D currently allows some conversions between complex/imaginary types and
real types, which are highly dubious.

Given creal z, ireal y, these casts are legal:
real x = cast(real)z;
x = cast(real)y; // always sets x==0, regardless of the value of y.
But I believe that should not be legal.

For the first case, it should be written as:   real x = z.re;
(which is shorter and clearer), and the second case is probably a bug,
and should be x = y.im; (unless the intention really was to set x=0!).

By the same logic, we could have sqrt(-1)==0, since the real part is 0.

The most important effect of disallowing these casts would be to fix a
host of bugs and wierd behaviour. All the A op= B operations involve a
cast to A. If those nonsensical casts become illegal, the nonsensical
op= operations become illegal automatically.

Eg, ireal y;
y *= y; // mathematically nonsense, y*y is real, so can't be stored in a
pure imaginary type!

There are a few segfault/ICE bugs (eg 718, 2839) which involve
int/=complex, an operation which never makes any sense anyway.

I think we're just making problems for ourselves by allowing these
useless operations. I think they should be killed.
Does anyone object? (If not, I'll create a patch to do it; it's not very
difficult).