I wish I could use D for everything

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 15:56:20 PDT 2009

bearophile wrote:
> But today most people use languages like Java, Python, C#, that often shorten developing time even more than D1.
> D1 is almost a system language, so it's not easy to compete with the productivity of application languages designed to put the programmer first and the CPU second.

Eh.... I'm working on my current project in D because I find development
faster than Java/C# and prefer statically typed languages for big
projects. The metaprogramming features, in particular, are nice. I used
to use a combination of perl scripts that generated Java/C# code, and
runtime config files for stuff that really should have been
compile-time. With CTFE+mixins, this is a non-issue. The fact that D is
a "systems language" wasn't a factor in my decision at all.