I wish I could use D for everything

grauzone none at example.net
Thu Apr 30 21:16:28 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Christopher Wright wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> There have been quite a few bugs in the I/O functions because the
>>> infrastructure underneath them has gone through a few major revisions.
>>> As Don said, D2 is an alpha and it cannot be held to the stability
>>> standards of a finished product.
>> Then I should wait a few revisions before doing anything that depends in
>> any significant way on Phobos?
>>
>> I think there's no point in releasing a product that is known to be
>> unstable. But I guess it's intended as a preview / request for testing.
>> What versions of D2 and Phobos are recommended to use for something
>> vaguely stable and usable?
>
> None.  Use D1 if you want stability.

I'm using D1, but it's a bug rollercoaster. I'm claiming what D needs is
not new spiffy features, that solve all currently known problems of the
computer science world, but a rock stable toolchain.

> The D2 website needs a big red label on the front sayin' "Warning:
> lark's vomit."
>
> Or "Warning: pre-release software; do not use for anything, ever."
>
>   -- Daniel

By the way, why do people feel the need to "sign" their posts, even
though the news protocol already provides a "From: " field, that not
only makes the signature redundant, but is also better to spot, is
recognized by the news readers, and usually provides more information?