Omissible Parentheses...

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Sat Aug 1 16:25:01 PDT 2009

On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 16:00:52 -0400, Michiel Helvensteijn
<m.helvensteijn.remove at gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert Jacques wrote:
>
>> I like them too (a lot). I find they increase the clarity of my code
>> (particularly function chaining).
>
> I think that when you find you need to use function-chaining, the
> functions
> (except possibly the rightmost) are often meant to be properties/fields.
> That's why they would look more natural without parentheses.

Nope. I meant _function_ chaining. This comment comes mostly from using
std.string and std.algorithm, whose functions don't behave as fields. Both
of these libraries show off the power you get from the flexibility of
function call / property duality. I've also used toggle/flag setting
methods in this way. It's concise, clean and very understandable.