DIP guidelines [was: DIP6: Attributes]

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Sat Aug 1 20:27:22 PDT 2009

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Leandro Lucarella escribió:
>> Ary Borenszweig, el  1 de agosto a las 16:29 me escribiste:
>>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP6
>>
>> Please, try to post at least the abstract of the DIP with the link, so
>> people can easily know what is it about =)
>>
>> And when writing a DIP, try to make the abstract a little more
>> descriptive. From an abstract you should be able to tell what the DIP is
>> about (in this case explain what an annotation is at least). A
>> oneliner is
>> not good enough, that's just a title, not an abstract. If it's too hard
>> to explain, try to provide a link to somewhere else where the terms are
>> described.
>>
>> The rationale can be a little more descriptive too. What are the
>> advantages of removing keywords for example? Use NG posts links if you
>> have some problems documented there, for example.
>>
>> Try not to explain your opinion in DIPs. They are not NG posts, they
>> should provide facts and be as objective as possible. Even when that's
>> pretty hard, saying "I prefer Java's one because ..." is excessively
>> subjective. Avoid doing that. You can express the same by saying
>> something
>> like "Java syntax has the advantage of ..." for example.
>>
>> A section called "Other thoughts" is not very serious either. If you are
>> not yet convinced about something in the DIP, post it in the announcement
>> post in the NG so it can be discussed and added later to the DIP when the
>> idea is in better shape.
>>
>> Please, don't take this personally, I just want DIPs to be high quality,
>> otherwise they will never be taken seriously. =)
>>
>> I've added this information in a Recommendations subsection to the DIP1,
>> see:
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP1#Recommendations
>>

>> I'll address the DIP itself in another post ;)
>
> Hola Leandro,
>
> I've updated the DIP page with your recommendations. I agree with all of
> them.
>
> Please, can someone (pst, bearophile) check that what I found as
> decorators in Pyhton are what we are calling annotations here? Thanks!

They aren't. Decorators are deep crazy magic. As I recall,

@mydecorator
def myfunc(argsnjunk):
    pass

transforms all calls to myfunc to a call to a function you defined
somewhere named mydecorator, which takes a function and its arguments as
parameters and returns a function which is expected to call the function
with its arguments. Then the returned function gets called.

Very nifty for a wide variety of things.