Contextualizing keywords

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 19:42:19 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Walter Bright<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Chad J wrote:
>>
>> This makes things more difficult for syntax highlighters.  A number of
>> them will just not work correctly because they don't actually parse the
>> code.
>
> That's true. Another thing keywords provide are "anchors" that enable better
> error recovery.

I've often wondered about how useful parser recovery really is.  Most
of the time, parsing errors after the first are complete bull anyway,
so the compiler's just filling up my console with garbage.  If you
combine that with the fact that recompiles are extremely cheap with D
and modern machines, and that D's module organization limits the scope
of parsing errors to a single file (instead of with C/C++, where a
parsing error in a header can cascade into a number of following
headers and the source), I wonder how useful it really is to continue
to try to parse after the first error.