Contextualizing keywords

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Aug 2 23:41:53 PDT 2009

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Oliver Hoog wrote:

>>> I guess they would still keep complaining since the number of
>>> available keywords to be remembered doesn't decrease.
>>
>> There are a million words in the English language, so it's not likely
>> that we'll run short of identifier space in the conceivable future :-)
>>
>> The real problem is remembering the keywords.
>
> Eh? I disagree -- think about how many uses of "static" there are, or
> the wars about "enum". Overloading keywords is MUCH more confusing than
> reserving another word.

Confession:

I've never, ever been confused by the use of "static". Not even once,
and not even when I was a complete beginner. I have always taken in the
numerous jokes related to "static" with the politely faked, resigned
smile of someone who knows will never really "get" it. And deep in my
heart of hearts, whenever a "static" joke comes about, the belief that
I'm an outcast sinks in a bit deeper.

Guess it's time for me to join the Static-Impaired Anonymous...

Andrei