property syntax strawman

KennyTM~ kennytm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 01:13:24 PDT 2009

Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>>> auto data = std.file.readText(filename).chomp.split;
>> I love that too. Unfortunately, the way the water is moving, it looks
>> like we'll lose some or all of that.
>
> That's not really true. Some of those no-parameter functions are just meant
> to be read-only properties instead of functions.
>
> auto data = std.file.textFrom(filename).chomped.split;

So to allow omission of the parenthesis of these "read-only properties"
we do

@property string chomped (string x) { ... }

? I don't think Walter's syntax is capable of introducing "properties"
to these free methods, but the property attribute can. (However,
this may make

chomped = "abcd"

valid, which is not what we want.)