new DIP5: Properties 2

Arthur Lloyd via at google.com
Mon Aug 3 03:40:20 PDT 2009

bearophile Wrote:

>Also taking a look at C# and Scala will help (they aren't perfect, but they are modern and C# is designed for quite practical purposes).

Scala is built by impractical computer scientists, D is a masterpiece coming from the software engineering community. Is there really anything worth learning from it? If you implement features that come from a scientific language, laymen can't use D anymore or it becomes unusably slow.

I've tried Scala and the language was too much different from C/C++/D to be useful in real world programming:
def foo = 1 + 4 vs int foo() { return 1 + 4; }
val foo: String = "bar" vs string foo = "bar";