OS X Installer

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Aug 3 03:59:14 PDT 2009

On 8/2/09 03:40, Michel Fortin wrote:
> On 2009-08-01 20:15:41 -0400, Sergey Gromov <snake.scaly at gmail.com> said:
>
>> Here's a nice document about directory layout in UNIX-like OSes:
>>
>> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
>>
>> I think MacOS should follow this layout at least in part. In particular
>> /usr/local/ is used for locally installed packages which otherwise
>> respect the standard directory structure found in / or /usr/. That is,
>> binaries go into /usr/local/bin/, libraries in /usr/local/lib/ etc. If
>> a package wants to keep its own structure it's supposted to go into
>> /opt/, like /opt/dmd2/whatever.
>
> Well, given that this is Mac OS X we could also put this in
> /Library/D/dmd and /Library/D/dmd2, two directories which aren't hidden
> by the file browser. Then put symlinks in /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/lib pointing there. Users will then be able to upgrade
> without an installer by simply replacing the folder at /Library/D/dmd &
> dmd2 with a newly downloaded one.
>
> I think that's better than /opt, as /opt isn't present by default on Mac
> OS X, isn't hidden by the Finder when present (contrary to all other
> "UNIX" directories at the root) and thus would look a little out of
> place on the hard drive. And there's already /Library/Python,
> /Library/PHP and /Library/Ruby in that /Library directory to set a
> precedent.

I think I like /usr/local best. /Library is used for resources:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/LibraryDirectory.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002282-BAJHCHJI

"The Library directory is a special directory used to store
application-specific and system-specific resources".

What about /Applications?