property syntax strawman

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Mon Aug 3 19:02:24 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
>> void empty.set(bool value) { ... }
>> bool empty.get() { ... }
>>
>> and have the same meaning as my earlier example.
>
> Yah, I was thinking the same. This is my #1 fave so far.
>
> Andrei

Agreed!

I see the appeal of putting getter/setter pairs within a single pair of
braces, since it groups them together as one logical unit.

BUT...

I think it's more valuable to define them as completely separate, since
you sometimes want to define get/set properties with different access
modifiers (protected setter & public getter == very nice). And then the
brace-enclosed syntax looks kinda goofy to my eyes:

    property MyProperty int {
       public get; protected set; // WEIRD
    }

--benji