reddit.com: first Chapter of TDPL available for free

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Aug 4 10:43:33 PDT 2009

Jeremie Pelletier:
>And I always thought it was double-extended 80-bit. The IEEE standard actually specifies >= 79 bits and Intel implements it as 80bits.<

But it seems there are weird differences across operating systems regarding how much memory is allocated to represent such numbers, like 10, 12, 16 bytes on Windows, Linux, Mac (this comes from something Walter said when he has adapted DMD to the other OSs). Do you know why they have chosen different solutions regarding something so basic? (I don't even want to talk about the stupid endianess of CPUs).

Bye,
bearophile