Naming things in Phobos - std.algorithm and writefln

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 00:49:34 PDT 2009

Michel Fortin wrote:
> As you know, I tried to write some guidelines[1] for naming things in D.
> Those guidelines looks well at first glance, but then you look at Phobos
> and you see that half of it use some arbitrary naming rules. Take
> "writefln" for instance: following my guidelines (as they are currently
> written) it should be renamed to something like "writeFormattedLine".
>
> [1]: http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DProgrammingGuidelines>

I think naming guidelines aren't a bad thing, but they can be taken too
far. We use an automated tool at work to check code and today I was
forced to change the name of some classes because they ended in "Queue"
or "Dictionary" and "fix the spelling" of "Http" because it thought it
was Hungarian notation.